It’s been a while since I’ve written a health tip. How did that happen!?! I love sharing small health tidbits with our little community! We have been quite busy in the kitchen this holiday season making hundreds and hundreds of Live Gingerbread Men and other goodies and now I finally have a chance to breathe, and talk about being healthy.
In honor of New Year’s Eve, here’s a little health tip that will make your evening (and New Year’s Day) much more enjoyable. And that tip is…stay hydrated! And by hydration I don’t mean bubbly. I mean good old fashioned H2O.
Here are our top 5 reasons why we should drink lots of water on NYE:
1. Drinking water fills the need to always have an alcoholic drink in your hand. Most of the time I find myself drinking more than I feel comfortable with at a party solely for the sake of having a drink in my hand. Silly, I know, but I do it anyways. So one little trick I try to do before I end up regretting a night of drinking, is I’ll switch out my drink for a club soda or water with a splash of cranberry juice so that I have that to sip instead. It works like a charm and it keeps me happy and most importantly, hydrated.
2. It keeps you awake. Sometimes arriving to midnight on NYE isn’t as easy as it sounded like it would have been around 8pm. Dehydration can lead to weakness, fatigue, dizziness, and electrolyte imbalance. So keep yourself going strong all night long by drinking more water.
3. It prevents headaches! Yep, we’ve all been there. We drink, and drink and maybe eat and then drink some more and then we’re left with a big ol’ fat headache. Eeer! Don’t go ringing in the new year with a headache. Did you know that most headaches are caused by dehydration? Yep. So drinking water can prevent or alleviate that nasty head pain. Next time your head hurts, try drinking water. You’ll be amazed by the results.
4. Be Less Cranky! Research says dehydration can affect your mood and make you grumpy and confused. No one wants to be a grumpy pants on NYE. So before you raise your glass of bubbly to 2015, think clearer and be happier by drinking more water.
5. Flush out waste and bacteria. This one is probably my favorite reason as to why it’s important to drink plenty of water this NYE. I mean, let’s face it. Consuming alcoholic beverages, and all of the other goodies we tend to consume on NYE isn’t exactly the healthiest thing…but life is all about balance and partying with friends and family keeps us healthy in other ways too. However, when the party is over, it’s time to cleanup. And the best way to clean up our system is by drinking lots and lots of water.
So start the New Year out right and make sure you drink your water this New Year’s Eve :)
Here’s to a happy and healthy 2015! Happy New Year!!!